English Christmas Dinner Recipe Share / Roast Potatoes
The Thanksgiving Recipe Share was fun and I had quite a few of you email to say that the recipes were a success! With that encouragement, we are on to a Christmas Recipe Share! These recipes are for a typical English Christmas dinner. However, for those of you who do not celebrate Christmas, the recipes are great year round and for any occasion!
Enjoy and please share! If you have your own recipe please add it in the comments below. I will post it the following week!
- 1 bag of Yukon Gold or white roasting potatoes (Russet or Idaho baking potatoes are not good for this recipe)
- Salt to taste
- Oil/Fat (Cooking oil – I use olive oil. But you can use canola oil or any other healthy oil. You can also use half Crisco solid shortening if you wish. In England they use goose fat, but it is either unavailable here or extremely expensive.)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Cut potatoes into small, uniform pieces
- Place potatoes in large pot and cover with water
- Add salt (about 1 tablespoon)
- Bring to a boil
- Simmer for 5 minutes
- Remove and drain
- In roasting pan, add enough oil to just cover the bottom of pan and place pan in hot oven to heat oil
- Carefully remove hot pan and place pre-boiled potatoes into pan
- Take a spatula and rotate potatoes to make sure they are covered in the fat/oil
- Sprinkle a dash of salt over potatoes
- Roast for 30 minutes
- Take out of oven and turn over
- Roast for another 30 minutes until they are crisp and deep golden in color
Potatoes are best when hot and crispy so try and serve right out of the oven
It sounds so delicious.